Feb 5, 2014

Seeking an Auto Discovery Cycle Duration - Part 2

Stemming from seeking an auto discovery cycle duration I started running the sounding correlations on a daily basis. They now begin from the current day and loop 10-80 days backward in time.

When I first began correlating the soundings I started the sample period on 10/1/13. I recall ~15 days being the short-term component from those runs - a consensus on positive correlation from all stations. Beginning from the current day the short-term 10-20 day ISO still holds the top positive correlation, but now ~20 days has the consistent positive correlation. It seems to me that the short-term cycle of the ISO stands out as the dominant component this season.



I am very interested to see what happens to this correlation as the days move along. Should I expect the wave to continue on or will it roll back towards ~15? Am I seeing a seasonal ISO in the 70-80 day range? I should loop to 90 or beyond to get a better glimpse? It's a work in progress, but I think we are very close to finding an index to aid in calculating a daily cycle duration based on a primary harmonic. More to come.

If there are any questions, comments, or suggestions on the material presented please let me know. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment